Honey, the sweet food made by hard working honey bees after collecting nectar from the flowers is a power house of antioxidants and other essential nutrients that are good for our skin. So, since time immemorial honey has been one of the essential ingredients in different kinds of herbal beauty products. Recent researchers have revealed that the bee hive also has other products that are filled with natural goodness and contain more beauty secrets. Beeswax is another product from the bee hive that is becoming an essential ingredient of expensive skin care products. Here are some reasons why honey and beeswax have become the bees knees of the skincare range.
The Natural Goodness and Benefits of Honey
Honey is not only beneficial for treating common health problems, but it also contains ingredients which are good for skin care. Starting from cleansing and exfoliating, to treating various skin problems, honey has a large variety of uses. Honey contains traces of Vitamin B and C and minerals like iron, magnesium, calcium and phosphorous which promises glowing and flawless skin. Here is why honey is considered essential for different skincare range:
- Raw honey contains enzymes which when mixed with water produces hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is a mild antibacterial compound that is extremely useful for treating cuts, skin irritation, acne, white heads and scratches.
- Our skin is the biggest organ of our body which is constantly renewing itself. It is extremely important to get rid of dead skin cells to ensure clear and glowing skin. Honey also contains less concentrated hydroxy acids which makes it a natural exfoliant. Hydroxyl acids help in loosening the dead skin, therefore helping to shed off the dead skin cell. Moreover, this acid also induces collagen production which aids in reducing signs of aging like wrinkles, pigmentation, fine lines and maintains the elasticity of the skin. Thus making you look much younger.
- Raw honey contains bee pollen and other components which stimulate skin cell rejuvenation.
- Being rich in antioxidants, honey helps in fighting the free radicals which cause much damage to our skin.
- The amino acids present in honey also make it a good humectant and helps in retaining the moisture in the skin. Thus the skin appears supple and soft.
The Benefits of Nutrient Rich Beeswax
Beeswax is another nutrient rich product found from the honeycomb that is absolutely nontoxic and helps in getting glowing skin. Beeswax acts as an emollient by locking the moisture within the skin cells and thereby making it soft and supple. Here are some reasons why honey is considered bees knees of skincare:
- Beeswax acts a natural humectant. It helps in absorbing the moisture from air and replenishing the skin with it, thus making the skin plump and gorgeous. Beeswax makes excellent lip balms and moisturizer, especially if you live in dry weather condition.
- Beeswax being rich in Vitamin A stimulates cell renewal process and helps you give a healthy glow.
- Beeswax also has anti-bacterial, antiallergenic and anti-inflammatory properties and thus it has natural healing properties and acts as a good antiseptic.
- It also has natural hydrating qualities which keeps the skin moist without blocking the pores of the skin.
- Lip balms containing beeswax is best for individuals who have chapped lips. It is the most long lasting lip moisturizer that is perfectly suitable for the dry winter months.
These natural qualities of honey and beeswax make them the bees knees of skin care products. Whether you want to exfoliate, cleanse and hydrate your skin or heal some fungal infection or moisten your lips, these two Bee derivatives provide us with a natural solution for all problems and thus these derivatives have become an essential component for niche skincare products.
About the Author
The above article is composed by CJ, a beautician by profession who loves to share her beauty and health tips via her articles.