It’s that time of the year again, when we set our feet free from winter socks and boots. But before we can slip our piggies into glam sandals and open toe summery heels we need to scuff off the dead dry layers and get our feet soft glowing and barefoot goddess ready. I thought I would share a few tips on how to give your feet the spa treatment and top it off with a gorgeous home spa pedicure without having to pay the high price salon cost. Sometimes I change it up with different at home treatments but the method used below is the easiest for me.
Before you get to work on your at home spa pedicure gather up the necessary tools first this way you will have everything on hand and the treatment time will be shortened. And yes the right tools for the job will allow you to treat your feet like the professional. These implements can be found for an affordable price either at your local drug store or beauty depot.
Some tools you’ll need:
- foot basin or foot soak machine
- one cup of milk or wine you have in your fridge
- cuticle remover
- cuticle stick ( for pushing back )
- foot callous remover/shaver
- nail file/ nail buffer ( a diamond file works best)
- small pedicure scissors
- foot scrub product
- tea tree oil or cuticle cream
- foot cream (mint, peppermint and lavender are soothing and refreshing on feet)
- nail polish remover
- nail base (optional)
- summer nail polish (try a shimmery bright pink)
Revlon Pedi Expert Kit And Foot Smoother are affordable and cruelty free
Note: if you have bunions or blisters visit a foot doctor to take care of them professionally or you might make them worse
The At Home Spa Pedicure Treatment:
- First remove any old polish and wash your feet. Wipe them down with some rubbing alcohol. I like that it gets your feet super clean rid of bacteria and its tingling cool sensation.
- Add some warm water to your foot basin or if you have a foot soak bubble machine follow the operating instructions before adding product to the warm water. Those foot soaking machines have the added benefit of massaging your feet as well as being inexpensive.
- Drop the cup of either milk or wine to the water. The milk is a natural exfoliator and softens your skin. It was an ancient daily beauty practice for many women such as Cleopatra who would soak her feet in goat’s milk. You can choose to use wine instead if you have an opened bottle already sitting in your fridge. Wine was also used in ancient beauty rituals. The oxidants in wine will leave your skin super soft, glowing and wonderfully scented.
- Soak for about 20 to 30 minutes (if time permits)
- Dry off your feet with a soft clean towel
- Apply your favorite foot exfoliater and gently massage into the entire foot paying attention to the heel area for a few minutes. This will prep the feet for the smoothing tool. Use the clean towel to wipe away the product or rinse your feet.
- Now gently remove the dry dead skin from off of your heels and around the big toe area with either a foot shaver or gentle callous buffer tool. Be careful not to aggravate the skin or rub to harshly. This will help any additional dry skin the exfoliator left behind.
- Use a small pedicure scissor to gently trim your toes a little. You don’t want cat nails dragging out of your sandals.
- Apply your favorite foot cream and massage well into your foot until absorbed. Now add a small amount of the tee tree oil on your toes, nails, cuticles and between your toes. Not only will the oil soften the cuticles around the nail bed but it has antibacterial properties to ward off any fungus while keeping your feet super fresh. Be careful to use just a dab of the oil. You can also use a cuticle cream if you have.
- Now with a cuticle push tool gently push back the cuticles on your toes and then lightly buff the nails while they are still moist with product. Buffing nails when they are dry can harm them. When you have buffed the nails file them gently.
- Now you’re ready for polish! Prime with clear nail base first. Choose fun bright colors. A shimmery toe nail is perfect right now or you can even go trendy by color blocking. Add a dab of gold metallic to the tip of your toe nail over your favorite shade. Viola! You’re are set to rock those sandals.
- Want to accessorize even more. Add a glam toe ring.
Enjoy the freedom of being free fresh and footloose this summer with your at home spa pedicure.
Image Source: flickr
Hey there. Thanks for checking out Spontaneous Chick. Please feel free to check out the rest of our beauty blog, our beauty product reviews and our beauty tips for women and please feel free to leave a comment.