Remember when you were in your teens and you had a bad case of acne? It may have been embarrassing, but you knew that it would be a temporary facial skin problem and once you were out of your teens it would end. For millions of people however, it didn’t end. Adult acne is a common facial skin problem that makes many people self-conscious about their looks. Before we go over what you can do to prevent the problem let’s discuss the causes.
Adult acne can be caused by a series of things, including:
- Unhealthy Eating Habits- If you eat a lot of fatty or fried foods, it may show on your skin.
- Stress- An evil entity that hurts our skin as well as the rest of our bodies.
- Genes- It’s very well possible that you inherited your acne from your parents or grandparents.
- Using The Wrong Type Of Cosmetics- If you’re using cosmetics made for normal or dry skin rather than cosmetics made for oily skin you may be contributing to the problem.
- Hormones- Hormonal changes such as pregnancy or menopause can cause adult acne.
While all of these causes of adult acne can be bothersome, there are treatments for adult acne.
- Be sure to use a gentle cleanser on your skin every morning so that you wash away all of the dirt on your skin.
- Exfoliate your skin once a week so that you remove dead skin cells and coax the growth of soft, clear skin. Exfoliating will also help remove any blackheads which you may have so that your skin is clearer and you have less chance of developing acne.
- Improve your eating habits by eating more fresh fruits and leafy vegetables. Cut down on the red meat and substitute it with fish and chicken and most importantly cut out fried and fatty foods.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and even more than that after you’ve exercised or when the weather is hot.
- Your skin is already oily so use oil free cosmetics on your skin at all times.
- Look for cosmetics that contain ingredients that are good for fighting adult acne.
There are many over the counter products available to help people suffering from adult acne. When selecting your cosmetics, look for the following ingredients so that you can get the best possible treatment for your skin.
Willow Extract- Works as an anti-inflammatory and an exfoliator which makes it a great acne fighting agent.
Witch Hazel Extract- Witch hazel reduces inflammation and soothes and tones the skin.
Salicylic Acid- The ultimate weapon against adult acne, Salicylic Acid exfoliates the skin, unclogs oily pores and acts as an anti-inflammatory agent.
Aloe Vera- Has properties that can help heal scars brought about by adult acne.
Great Burdock Extract- Regulates the oil in your skin and prevents breakouts.
By using the right products, following a daily cleansing regiment and eating right, you should have beautiful, clear skin before you know it.