Many fitness enthusiasts find it difficult to follow their normal exercise plan while traveling. Unfamiliar environments, tightly-scheduled business meetings, or lack of exercise equipment may hamper even a fitness fanatic’s best intentions for staying fit while on the road. If you’ve worked hard to establish a good fitness routine, going on a trip doesn’t have to mean your healthy habits will be derailed.
How To Keep Fit While Traveling
- Keep moving and be sure to “Drink a minimum of eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day. Airport food, sitting on a plane, jet lag – all contribute to bloat. The best way to fight it is to stay hydrated,” says Jon.
- Use good body mechanics when you lift your suitcases up to the check-in counter. Lift from your knees, not your back. Be aware of your posture as you carry your bags.
- Even though you’ve left behind your daily routine, try to eat three meals a day, maintain a balanced diet and eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. If you’re going to eat a high-fat meal, eat a smaller portion, or order an appetizer instead of a main course. Split desserts with a friend.
- Rest. If your schedule is shot and you’re not sleeping enough at night, take cat naps whenever you get the chance.
- Stretch in the morning and evening, especially if you’ve been sitting all day.
- If you will be drinking alcohol at business mixers, drink a lot of water between events.
- Pack snacks: bananas and apples, yogurt, protein bars. You can make meal replacement shakes in your room. You don’t need a blender, just a container with a tight fitting lid, large enough to shake the contents.
- Ask your travel agent about hotels that offer fully equipped gyms, pools, and/or other fitness facilities.
- Bring along a tape player and audio cassette by your favorite fitness instructor and work out in the privacy of your hotel room.
- Pack a jump rope for a go-anywhere aerobic session. Invest in “travel weights” -inflatable weights that can be filled with water or sand when training, folded and stored while on the road.
- Plan active recreation during vacations -check out the local golf course, riding stable, and so on.
- When site-seeing, forget the tour bus and walk. You’ll not only see more, but you’ll be sneaking in some extra activity.
Keeping fit while traveling can be easier than you think. The trick s to put your mind to it and not totally fall off the horse.